Claypot Chicken Rice is one of those dishes which has a recipe that sounds simple enough but if you're inexperienced, proves deceiving. That was what I found out, to my chagrin. First of all, do use Jasmine rice as written. I used calrose rice to little success (please refer to the pictures provided). Second, rice WILL stick to the bottom of your claypot and burn so keep a watchful eye and stir as often as you can. However, even with those little obstacles, the flavour was very good and I will definitely try this recipe again.
This recipe serves 3-4 people.
1 cup Jasmine rice,washed and drained
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 chicken drumsticks,wash and cut into pieces
3-4 pieces shitake mushroom,soaked and cut in half
1 Chinese sausage,soaked ,sliced thin and fried
1 piece thick salted fish,fried
1/2 inch fresh ginger,bruised and sliced
1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tbsp oyster sauce
1/2 tsp chicken bouillon powder
1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine (shiong hua wine)
1 tbsp sesame oil
1/2 tsp ground black pepper,plus some for sprinkle
a handful cut scallion/green onion
Soya sauce with bird's eye chilli
1) Combine cut chicken, mushroom with seasoning and ginger in a medium bowl, marinade for 1 hour or overnight .
2) Wash rice until water clear, drain and add in chicken stock in the claypot, cover and bring to boil at low heat. Cook about 10 minutes or until holes are formed on top. Then stir rice from time to time to avoid sticking or sitting on the bottom.
3) Then spread marinated chicken and mushrooms, Chinese sausage on top, cover and cook with low heat until rice is dry and and chicken pieces are cooked, about 15 minutes. Use a wooden spatula to whip chicken and rice together . Then over again and cook for another 5 minutes. Remove claypot from heat.
4) Sprinkle fried salted fish on top, cover and leave to stand for 10 minutes or until rice is dry and fluffy.
5) Sprinkle some cut scallion and ground black pepper on top. Serve immediately.